AKA: Shovel, Tracked Backhoe, Hydraulic Excavator
- On the side of cab, may be on left or right side (usually side nearest boom).
- Inside cab.
Caterpillar, Daewoo, Hitachi, Hyundai, Komatsu, Liebherr, New Holland, Volvo.
An awareness of the following indicators will help focus attention on suspicious equipment during routine stops, patrols and investigations.
Time: Equipment being transported between 2000-0500 hrs or on weekends or holidays. Equipment theft most often happens at these times and contractors are unlikely to pay overtime if it can be avoided. (Note: exception – in large metropolitan areas equipment is sometimes moved in the early mornings to avoid traffic).
Things to watch out for
- Equipment being hauled on vehicles not designed to haul such equipment.
- New equipment on old transport.
- Trade plates on the vehicle.
- Haulier is using agricultural (red (UK) or green (Irish)) diesel, or any other illegal fuel, in their vehicle.
- Haulier vehicle has no company livery.
- The labels/markings on the equipment do not match those of the vehicle carrying or hauling it.
- The Ministry Number is missing from the haulier’s trailer.
Register your equipment now!
It only takes a few minutes and may save you thousands of pounds.